Sunday, April 12, 2009

It's A Small World After All

We just got back from a weekend trip to Indianapolis, Indiana. The first night prior to going out we were waiting for our car and started chatting with the valet guy who was college-aged and very nice. We started talking about how we were surprised that there were actually quite a few people out in the city on a Thursday night. I said that Cincinnati is usually not that busy at all on a weeknight and that Seabass was from Santiago, Chile and was surprised when he moved to Cincinnati about the lack of people out in the city at night. The valet guy said "Oh, my girlfriend was an ex-pat studying and living in Chile for a year". She is majoring in Spanish at a local university and works with their study abroad program. He said she wants to take him back to Valparaiso to vacation. I was laughing and said "Well, first let me tell you that you are lucky that she is your girlfriend and isn't dating/married to a Chileno." I explained the phenomena of the gringas from the mid-west who are with Chileans. He said that he knew because his girlfriend has some friends who are still down there due to their Chileno. Also, he could have passed for a Chileno himself so maybe she didn't find one there but found someone similar here ;)
Anyway, I thought this was a really funny chance encounter and it reminded me that it is a small world after all.

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes I feel so far away but yep, like you said, it's definitely a small world. And unlike other nationalities...Chileans or people connected to Chile seem to have a special way of finding each other somehow. They must radiate weon's and cachai's :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha Kyle! "..radiate weon's and cachai's". Funny!

    Another small world story: my best (chilean) friend's cousin is in Vermont (my home state) working right now. Not many people here have even HEARD of Vermont, let alone traveled and worked there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a cute story. I love your theory as to why the girlfriend is with him. I'm definitely here now in part to a Chileno and I'm from the Midwest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should see me when I meet Chileans: OMG YOU'RE FROM CHILE TOO, LET'S BE BEST FRIENDS. AND then I stalk them. hehe

    ReplyDelete