Thursday, April 2, 2009

0-0 but Chile Is Winning and Ahead of the World!

Last night Seabass and I were invited over to watch the game with some fellow Chilenos and a few Uruguayans here in Cincinnati. We had fun and while Seabass isn't a big futbol fan he still really enjoyed it because it "feels like home" watching the game and getting to hear the word chucha being yelled. Side note: I REALLY need to work on my Spanish. I felt so bad being there yesterday because everyone felt like they had to speak english or say everything again in english for me. I know enough to understand what I call "cave man talk" so I pick up the general subject people are talking about but not a lot of details. I know a lot of nouns but my verbs are lacking. Seabass bought me Rosetta Stone but since it's learning through immersion I need to start at the beginning which is really boring because I get all the answers right but still a process I need to work through. By nature I'm really shy about trying to speak Spanish because unless I'm good at something I don't like to do it but after being in Chile the last time I was so appreciative when people tried to communicate in english to me no matter how correct/incorrect it was. So, this is on Aimee's to-do list but still trying to formulate a plan I know I can stick to that will work.

So, the game ended up being 0-0 but I read an article today on how Chile is ahead of the rest of the world. It is titled "Chile: The One Country That Was Prepared for the Financial Crisis"

Chile's economy grew by 4% to 5% annually during the boom years, respectable but
not spectacular. The Chilean economy is expected to grow just 0.4% in
2009, but to rebound to 2.3% growth in 2010, according to the Economists
forecasting panel. By the standards for the current miserable world,
that's very good indeed.

Go Chile! Looks like I need to start investing. Although I WILL NEVER invest in LAN- hate that company with their total disregard for the customer. Although Delta is not doing so hot I would support them any day over LAN. When Seabass's grandmother passed away he was checking on flights. His mom was here and her flight was back on LAN so he was trying to get the same flight. I was on the phone with Delta just to see what they had available and I explained the situation and I got "I'm so sorry to hear that, let me see what I can find, no that price can't be right for this emergency situation let me check with my supervisor." They came back with a price $1000 cheaper to which I explained we would have to see what LAN cost because his mom was booked there and the man said "yes, I understand and again I am so sorry for your family's loss- I'll be sure to say a prayer for you today". LAN's response was to charge him the full rate for the last minute flight AND charge his mom $50 to change her ticket to be one night before she was supposed to leave. That is just one of many stories I could fill pages on with my very few interactions with them. Apologies for my rant :)

I should, however, look at investing in Vina Concha y Toro (YUM!). I support them all the time from here at our local grocery store- love, love, love their Carmenere. It's funny because I can buy a bottle of Carmenere here cheaper than I could buy it at the actual vineyard in Chile.

But anyway, my main point of the post was a Go Chile! for being ahead.

2 comments:

  1. I mean really, an investment in Chilean wine could NEVER be a bad idea. It's funny that the vineyard charges so much for the wines because for the most part I find wine in the grocery stores here pretty darn cheap. Like the normal bottles I buy cost 2,500 pesos and if I want something SUPER nice I might splurge and spend 5,000 pesos, LOL!

    And yes, sitting in a room full of people yelling chucha always feels like home in Chile, doesn't it? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you put a positive spin on the unimpressive 0-0 tie :) And it's so true.

    Concha y Toro is one of the more expensive wines here in Chile and I remember noticing the same thing, that it's cheaper in the U.S. I think that's probably because the vineyards cater to tourists. I love Chilean wine and if I had the money I would totally invest in it!

    ReplyDelete