Monday, April 20, 2009

Eau de South America

I have a nose like a dog. I pick up and discern smells more than the average person. The other day I was in my car going to the gym and smelled what I call the "South American" smell. I'm not talking the Latino man smell (which is very nice I might add and I think guys in the US could take some lessons on how to apply cologne). Anyway- this smell is hard for me to describe- it's a neutral smell really not good or bad and if I had to pick something to describe it I might say musty but that can be perceived as not so good. At first I thought it was specific to Chile because I first noticed it with S and his clothes but since then I've picked it up on people from Uruguay, Venezuela, and Argentina and it comes from their clothes. I've smelled it here and also in airports abroad. You could line 10 people up and I swear I could tell which ones were in South America- it's that noticeable to me. When I'm in South America I don't notice it as much.

At first I thought it had something to do with the water but I've debunked that. I purchased a workout outfit when I was in Chile almost 2 months ago and was wearing it for the first time the other day to the gym. I could pick up the smell 2 months after this outfit had been in my closet AND sent to the seamstress to get the pants hemmed. The outfit was not washed in Chile- only purchased there.

Today I got dressed for work and as I was sitting at my desk noticed the smell again. At first I questioned it because I smelled it so strongly that I thought it was my sweater but I had just washed that. I finally realized that I was wearing the linen pants that I had last worn 2 months ago in Chile (I have not sent them to the drycleaners yet).

What is the deal? It's a really weird phenomenon for me. I thought at least the water explanation might make some sense but I've proven that wrong. It has to be the air but what would be different there than here? Am I crazy or does anyone else notice this? I've tried to ask S to smell this on the clothes I can pick it up on but he doesn't notice anything.

Also- this has reminded me to post a public service annoucement. There is an over the counter cold remedy you can buy here in the US and is quite the rage called Zicam. It comes in several forms and is supposed to reduce the amount of time you have a cold. One of the easiest to use is a solution you put in your nose. A close friend of mine (who also had a very keen sense of smell) used this product (as a sugestion from her husband who had used it). She applied it and immediately felt a burning sensation. The next day she noticed that her sense of smell was gone. She went to an ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat doctor) who basically said "Yea, duhhhh!! You shouldn't use that". That was back before Christmas and 4 months later still has no sense of smell. You will find many things on the internet about this- some saying it is not proven. She tried calling the company to inquire and they told her it was a by-product of her virus. All I can say is that she is a very close friend of mine and had the exact burning sensation that others describe and has lost her sense of smell. I can imagine it would be very difficult to not have my sense of smell- even if it does drive me crazy sometimes.

5 comments:

  1. I definitely do not have that strong of a sense of smell...although I'd be really upset if I lost what little I do have, like your friend. That's awful. Can she sue or something?

    I have a keen nose for smelling marijuana, which is weird because I've never done it. But for some reason, if there is someone doing pot within a 10 mile radius of me, I pick up on it before anybody else.

    I'm going to ask S. about that though because he does have a ridiculously good sense of smell (seriously, he can sniff spaghetti sauce and without even tasting it tell me whether or not it needs more salt, or same with oatmeal and sugar).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you are talking about. What I've noticed even more is a Chilean kitchen smell. There is a particular smell that every Chilean kitchen I've ever been in smells like. It's like toasted white bread, salt, and butter. It's strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I've used that Zicam stuff before. In fact, my Dad swears by it. None of us have lost our sense of smell, but that is super scary! I'm going to e-mail him and warn him. I would be so upset if I lost my sense of smell, because the sense of smell is so connected to memory, and I love it when I smell something that reminds me of a happy time in the past.

    The smell I most often connect with Chile is the scent of wet pavement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle- They did try to contact a lawyer but I guess since the medicine is homeopathic (Zinc) it's not regulated and is "use at your own risk". That is really funny about S and spaghetti.

    Sara- Thanks- so happy to know I'm not the only one that notices smells like that.

    Abby- Yea, it is scary. I don't know if she had an allergic reaction or if it could happen to anyone even if it didn't have that effect previously but I personally wouldn't chance it. I think using other forms than the spray would be best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so funny because when I came back from Chile last year I could smell "Chile" in everything that was inside my suitcase. Well, that's probably because there was still sand in there? hehe

    ReplyDelete