Monday, April 6, 2009

Chilean Cat Versus Gringo Cat

So yesterday Seabass and I are out doing errands and were contemplating going home or going to one more store. We actually pulled off the road and sat in a parking lot being indecisive about this. We finally decided to go to the store so we got on the highway. On the way there a light came on telling me my tire was low. I ignored it as I was getting off the exit because I couldn't feel any difference with the car. Once I turned off the exit someone pointed at me and I made the first right I could into a parking lot to discover that my tire was completely flat. We called someone to come and fix it and while we were waiting I decided to go use the restroom (even though I had just gone not too long ago). There was a pet store in the parking lot so I went in. On the way the aisle I happened to walk down had cats in cages who were up for adoption. One thing that Seabass seems to miss a lot is his cat "Gaston" that he left in Chile with his mom. She was attached to the cat and he didn't want to disrupt him or her to bring him here. As I was walking by I saw this cat that I swear is the clone of Gaston. I go out to get Seabass from the car so that he can see and he couldn't believe how similar they are. This cat is named Chico and is exactly the same as Gaston except that "Chico" is not so chico and in true U.S. style is a little fatter than Gaston and he probably doesn't understand Spanish. They also have very similar personalities as both cats don't like other cats (this was explained on the card attached to his cage and also experienced when we took him out).

I've never had a cat and not really a huge cat person but we discussed this quite a bit. It's weird because it really seems like fate but at the same time doesn't seem to fit in the plan right now. Trying to find someone to take care of it might be difficult especially trying to board it if it doesn't like other cats. Also, our 5 year old son wants a Dachshund (weiner dog) and we have discussed getting one and naming him "Completo". Not sure that this dog and the cat would get along. Plus going from 0 animals to 2 would be a big jump (even if not at the same time). It's just weird when something comes along that seems like it was meant to be but doesn't fit into your plans. So many other things could have happened yesterday so that we wouldn't have seen the cat. See the similarities yourself (2 pics of Gaston in the blue boxes- the other 2 are Chico):




2 comments:

  1. Wow, it's Gaston's twin!!! Awww, maybe you should get it for Seabass, I can only imagine how much he misses he pet.

    But yeah, dog/cat mixture might not be great. I don't know, I've never tried it but historically speaking it doesn't seem like the best idea.

    However, I am all for you getting a dog and naming it Completo, that would be HILARIOUS! It'd be an inside joke only Chileans (and their gringa wives) could understand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completo is the perfect name! Haha.

    I always grew up with at least one dog and one cat in the house, and although there was the occasional upset, nothing major ever happened. I should note though that my cat weighs 20 pounds and is bigger than one of my dogs. And my other dog that is bigger than the cat is super submissive to him, it's actually funny. Anyway, I think a dog and a cat wouldn't be such a huge problem, as long as you have a big enough house so they can both have their own space.

    ReplyDelete