Monday, March 30, 2009

Update: Pan Amasado Experiment

Here is an update to my Pan Amasado Adventure:

Well, I DID get a response to my email within 24 hours but perhaps it was because they were anxious to tell me that I was wrong:

" Hi Aimee, I talk to Juana -the chef who made the recipes- and she told me that the recipe is ok. She suggests that maybe you used another kind of flour or there was another mistake in the process.

Kind regards, "

The recipe said "plain flour" and I don't think that is too hard to mess up. I guess it has to be me making a mistake in the process because anyone should be able to mix 8 cups of flour with one cup of liquids and get something that resembles dough >:( (at least I was right about me being wrong :P )

But yes, I am yet again left with the feeling that it's my fault. So I'm going to respond again by converting the measurements to metric myself and asking how that amount of liquid offsets 8 cups of flour. Anyone want to take bets that I won't get an apology or perhaps a thank you for bringing it to their attention?

2 comments:

  1. HAHA! I'm amazed that they even responded!

    Well one thing is that cups in Spanish doesn't refer to the measurement "a cup," the way we think of it. In general, a "taza" as they say would be like any regular old cup...so I've found that in that regard, measurements certainly do vary. However if it's 8 cups of flour and 1 cup of water then the ratio should be right...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was being sarcastic in my comment that 1 cup of liquid would do anything to 8 cups of flour. Perhaps you are right that when they translated to "cups" it is off. The editor responded to my latest email that "maybe it is a translation error" and he is passing the info on to the chef. He is actually being nice about it :) We'll see what the chef says and maybe there is pan amasado in my future.

    ReplyDelete