Sunday, March 15, 2009

First Post in Cincinnati Chile (or any blog)

About 2 years ago I didn't even know what a blog was and found myself googling the word "blog". I still didn't grasp the concept of a blog (and I work in the IT field) until I read Kyle Hepp's blog (ohquepasa.blogspot.com). After reading her blog I understood. The purpose of this blog is to give a perspective of a gringa married to a Chilean and living in the US.

Background: I was a gringa in love with a Chilean who was living in Chile. I had been to Chile twice and had also fallen in love with the country. It was hard for me to understand some of the things that I felt for Chile or heard about Chile from my Chilean boyfriend. I found myself surfing for info on Chile and I stumbled upon Kyle's blog where I really felt like I got a lot of insight into Chile from a gringa's perspective. It validated a lot of what I felt and at the same time gave me different perspectives and new information. At that point I read most of her blog but didn't continue to follow it. Fast forward a year later and my Chilean boyfriend is now my Chilean husband and we are living in Cincinnati, Ohio USA. We were planning our wedding reception in Chile and trying to pick flowers for the tables. I was googling trying to find pictures of typical flower arrangements in Chile and came across Kyle's blog again. She had a link to her photography website and I took a look and thought her pictures were some of the coolest I've seen. Seabass (my husband) and I were not even going to have professional pictures taken but once we saw Kyle's pictures we REALLY wanted her to take some. I felt weird about contacting her after having felt like I was stalking her by reading her blog and life stories and her having no idea who I was. She was really sweet and I ended up signing up for just about all her sessions. After meeting her and sharing stories with her and also reading more of her blog and other blogs I felt like giving this blogging thing a try.

Writing has never been one of my fortes. In fact in college english class I struggled because I didn't "elaborate enough" and I also work for a company that doesn't like any fluff in their communications and wants everything short and to the point using the least amount of words possible. I see that even in this post I'm following the company rules of giving the top line in the first few sentences. Hopefully I can overcome this in the blog so that it has enough elaboration to make it enjoyable.

I also worry about having enough material to make people even read it once let alone come back again. I talked to a friend recently explaining how I met the photographer of my reception and we started discussing blogging. We were joking that our lives weren't interesting enough for blogging. Our blogs would consist of "today I went to the grocery store" or "today I took my child to preschool". I'm taking this on as a personal challenge to see if I can come up with anything remotely interesting :)

All that said.....here it goes:

3 comments:

  1. YAY! I'm so glad you joined the blog world. Glad I could be there for you to educate you on what it's all about, haha!

    Even if your blog is all business I'm sure it will still be interesting. I mean, most of us are Gringas married to Chileans living in Chile. So you'll be able to show us the opposite perspective of the scenario. :) Plus, even though all of us have pretty boring day to day lives, in the end when you start reading people blogs, it's less about how good of a writer they are, and more about the personal connection that you start to feel with them...so you end up actually caring about posts that say, "Today I went to the grocery store." :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome. It is always great to have more people in the mix... and you really don't have to be a great writer. You just have to write about what you are passionate about (love or hate) or whats going on. The relationship you create with your blog and its readers just evolves from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you- it was super sweet of you to comment.

    ReplyDelete