Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mullet of the Year Award

There is a new reality show called "The Exterminators" and here are the stars of the show:



To the right we have the more traditional mullet. On the left we are bringing the mullet to a whole new level. He has what I'll call a ballet- bang mullet. I was amazed watching this show for the first time and I think this guy deserves the Mullet Of The Year award. I could totally picture picking up a magazine with the title "Mullet Of The Year" on the front of it and this picture underneath:

I've heard a lot about the whole mullet thing in Chile and have seen it first hand. I always pictured a certian type of guy who would have a mullet. When I was there last time I noticed a lot of teenagers who seemed pretty stylish to me but had a mullet. Is this a new teenage guy trend in Chile (like the high top sneakers I saw the chicks wearing much like the Reebok high tops I wore in the 80s)? Or is this just a product of the hair dressers there?

I have had one experience with a hair dresser in Chile. For my reception in Chile the ONE THING I was REALLY nervous about was getting my hair done. There are only 3 people here that I would allow to do my hair. I have baby fine hair and it is not easy to work with. Needless to say I was worried especially after all the horror I've heard about hairdressers in Chile. I decided to go for a simple do and actually did a trial run myself before leaving for Chile. I had S take a picture. I asked S to ask his mom to set up an appointment for me and requested that they have hot rollers. A few days prior to the reception I asked to please confirm again that they have hot rollers. I should have just brought my own but they were not dual voltage and didn't think this would be a big deal. At the last minute I found out that the hairdresser would be coming to the apartment and I was not going to the salon. I was really getting worried at this point. It was too late to change anything and I convinced myself that perhaps it would be easier this way in the end. In walks George Michael. I don't remember his name but this is who he looked like- white tshirt, jeans, oversized sunglasses, facial hair stubble and all. He has a lot of stuff with him but I didn't see hot rollers. I showed him the picture of what I wanted. (S is translating all communication betweeen George and I). He starts drying my hair and it seemed as if he had never dried hair before. At this point I am sick to my stomach. I wasn't sure what he was doing but after he was done drying started pinning my hair up. I was hoping that he was pinning it to use a curling iron at least. This was not the case. HE PUT PIN CURLS IN MY HAIR!!!!! Are we in 1940s? I think that you still have to learn how to do these in beauty school but I don't think anyone does them past that. After he was complete with the pin curls and pulled my hair back he was going to leave a section of my bangs (which are long to my chin) hanging out on one side. This at least took me from the 40s to the 80s but still no where close to where I wanted to be. I would have looked much like the long part of the ballet in the picture above. I finally protested that I wanted all my hair pulled back. He complied but told S that he could have "done so much more with my hair but was constrained by what I wanted". I can only imagine what I would have looked like had I let him have his way. The makeup he applied was horrendous too. He tried to do this shading thing to fix my face. I had a V on my nose of lighter make up (I guess to make my nose look smaller but he did the same thing to S's brothers gf and she does not have a big nose). I also had this beard thing going on the side of my face with the darker shading he was doing. It was AWFUL and poor S had to listen to me complain the entire hour long drive to the reception. There was absoultely nothing he could do either and I had no time to redo it. He told me that I looked great but I told him that even if I did look like crap he wouldn't tell me anyway so it didn't matter. He let me vent and listened and I finally calmed down once I got to the reception and Kyle was there to distract me with pictures :) I had to apologize to S later for putting him through that but I think from now on I'll do my hair myself while in Chile.


1 comment:

  1. I concur with S. You looked beautiful anyway!

    Hairdressers LOVE to do their own thing. At my own wedding my guy wanted to do a half ponytail with the veil going underneath the top part of the half ponytail. Can you even imagine how hideous that would've looked? WTF, YIKES!!!!

    PS. Those are some truly amazing mullet pics right there. Nice light-hearted entertainment for my night :)

    ReplyDelete